Valeant Pharmaceuticals International, Inc. is a diverse and decentralized pharmaceutical company that is committed to focusing on our key stakeholders while delivering consistently high performance. Our values provide the overall direction for our company, and provide us with the tools necessary to rise to any challenge by leveraging our collective hard work and effort along with our unwavering competitive spirit. These values help us set goals based on our organization’s potential and what we hope it will become.
Responsible for providing a high quality and diverse range of services and support to the intellectual property and legal department. Facilitate a level of excellence throughout the Valeant Legal department, acting as a key liaison between Legal and the Business, as the Legal department continues to partner with the business on key initiatives for the overall success of the organization. We are seeking an individual with the utmost degree of professionalism and integrity, capable of handling highly sensitive and confidential matters, and with an industrious and self-motivated approach.
The Patent Litigation Paralega/Sr. Legal Specialist provides support to the patent and legal department with all patent-related matters including litigation support to the Intellectual Property department attorneys. This position will provide high-level support in the following areas:
• Provide support for all aspects of domestic and international patent preparation and prosecution
• Provide, as requested, backup patent and trademark docketing support
• Provide, as requested, administrative support for contested patent matters, including US litigation and European oppositions
• Act as initial ‘ambassador’ triaging incoming requests
• Draft executive-level correspondence and handle confidential information requests
• Coordinate and manage meetings - internally and externally
• Exhibit initiative and “follow-through” to help supervisors and stakeholders as necessary. Identify areas and take action to provide assistance.
• Prepare PowerPoint slide presentations as requested.
• Manage expense reports and department invoices.
• Assist with IP Litigation:
o New case notification:
o Open new matter in Onit matter management system (keep status updated through the life of the matter)
o Notification to internal counsel
o Engage outside counsel
o Work with litigation specialist to ensure appropriate Legal Hold gets issued
• Engage with outside counsel through all aspects of the case:
o Early case assessment
o Custodian identification
o Data collection
o Manage employee witness interview process (with outside counsel)
• Manage settlement process
• Close matters
• Education: Minimum of an Associate’s Degree or equivalent experience
• Experience: Minimum of 7 years of experience with litigation and intellectual property matters.
• Special Skills:
• Strong communication, inter-personal, and PC skills are essential
• Must be detail oriented and demonstrate excellent organizational skills
• Strong sense of ownership and responsibility, and a strong work ethic focused on providing excellent customer service; demonstrated ability to work as part of a team
• Able to work independently and under time constraints
• Focused on needs of internal customer
• Experience with electronic legal billing, matter management, legal hold
• Demonstrated ability to organize and prioritize heavy workload
• Demonstrate ownership and execution of primary responsibilities, anticipate needs and solve issues quickly/effectively